South African Lemon Pickle
- 10 lemons , rough-skinned (the thick-skinned, old-fashioned kind of lemon)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar , like muscovado
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder , mild, flavourful (use Cape Malay, or use a good masala)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (pref. yellow)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- You need clean bottling jars for this. You need about 5 – 6 1-cup jars or 3 larger ones. Put into a cold oven, then heat oven 325 deg C/160 deg F and leave until needed.
- Halve the lemons, then slice into thin slices. Remove pips.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a fairly big pot with a thick bottom, stir well, and bring to boiling.
- Boil for about 12 minutes, then add the lemon slices. Stir well once and pull from heat.
- Carefully take your sterilised bottles from the oven (best is to put them straight on to a metal oven tin).
- With a slotted spoon, ladle the lemon pieces into the jars, the fill up with the liquid, to cover the lemon slices.
- Very carefully, using oven gloves, wipe spills off the bottle necks with a damp cloth.
- Seal bottles with their tops.
- Cool, wipe completely clean, label, and leave for 2 weeks before using.
This entry was posted by by Natalie Notthing on Friday, February 1st, 2013 at 10:26 am and is filed under Recipes.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply