Gilroy, California, Garlic Bread
- 1 (2 1/2teaspoon)package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup cottage cheese , warmed (preferably small curd)
- 6 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic or onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften the yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese, garlic, egg, oil, oregano, sugar, salt, and baking soda and stir well.
- Add the flour to the mixture, blend well, and put in a warm place to rise, loosely covered, until doubled in size.
- Stir the dough down and turn out into a well-greased, 2-quart casserole dish. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- Note: If you wish, you can add some chopped fresh parsley, savory, or basil (1/2 teaspoon each) for a tasty garlic-herb bread.
This entry was posted by by Natalie Notthing on Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 at 9:38 am and is filed under Recipes.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply