The goals of acne treatment should include clearance of acne, prevention of scarring and, morbidity minimization. Patient education is the first and at times the most crucial step for effective acne treatment. It is essential to dispel myths that consumption of greasy food, potato chips, sugar and chocolates are responsible for the development of acne. The patient must be advised to cleanse the skin gently and use a non-comedogenic moisturizer. The patient should also avoid picking and rubbing the skin and using scented or harsh skin products. Other important preventive measures should include use of proper shaving technique and being consistent with the skin care regimen. Drinking more water can also help skin stay healthy. Evidence states that modification of the testosterone dose; dosing schedule or delivery method helps improve acne symptoms.
Patients with mild to severe acne can be treated with topical or oral medicines. Although systemic therapy is mainly used for treatment of severe acne, it is sometimes needed for moderate cases.
A variety of systemic agents used to clear acne include interlesional corticosteroid injection, isotretinoin, oral antibiotics (tetracycline and erythromycin) and oral contraceptives.
Azelaic acid, benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, erythromycin, and sodium sulfacetamide are the prescription topical antimicrobials used to treat acne vulgaris in the United States. Several types of prescription topical retinoids used to treat acne include adapalene, tazarotene, and tretinoin.
Acne provides detailed information about acne, acne medication, acne products, and more. Acne is affiliated with Acne Skin Care Products.
Prologue and Rationale
Acne is a skin disorder resulting from the action of hormones on the skin’s oil glands (sebaceous glands) which leads to plugged pores (blackheads and whiteheads), pimples, and outbreaks of cysts or nodules commonly called pimples and they may occur on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and even the upper arms. The acne affects most of the teenagers. However, the disease is not restricted to any age group; adults in there 20s – even into their 40s – can get acne. Being not a life threatening health condition, acne is still upsetting and disfiguring as sometimes it leads to permanent and serious scarring. Even less severe cases leads to scarring. Symptoms
There are two main types of acne: non-inflammatory and inflammatory. In non-inflammatory acne, there are usually just a few whiteheads and blackheads on the face. With inflammatory acne, the whiteheads become inflamed, and pimples and pustules develop. In its most severe form, inflammatory acne can cause disfiguring cysts and deep, pitting scars of the face, neck, back and chest.
The main cause of acne is a devitalized condition of the skin resulting from unhygienic living habits. Other causes of acne are excessive use of tea, coffee, alcohol or tobacco, strenuous studies, masturbation and sedentary habits, which lead to indigestion and general debility.
1. Apply orange peel pounded well with water to the affected area.
2. Apply Cucumber leaves or grated pieces for acne cure.
3. Rub the affected area with a fresh cut clove of garlic.
4. Apply clove based face mask or a paste of Fenugreek (Methi ) leaves overnight on acne and wash off next morning.
5. The lemon has also proved beneficial in removing pimples and acne. It can be applied regularly.
6. Grind the bark of neem and turmeric (haldi) together in water. Rub the paste on the affected parts.
7. Rub a piece of sandalwood on a clean stone, using a little of rose water or cucumber juice to make a paste. This pack will give a fresh feeling and will discourage acne.
8. Rub jaiphal nut with sandal powder and unboiled milk and apply the paste on the acne. Wash after one hour. Do this regularly till you get 100% results.
9. Mashed papaya applied on the face helps clear scars and marks on the skin.
10. A teaspoonful of coriander juice, mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder, is another effective home remedy for pimples and blackheads. The mixture should be applied to the face after thoroughly washing it, every night before retiring.
11. The juice of raw potatoes has also proved useful in clearing skin blemishes. This cleansing results from high content of potassium, sulphur, phosphorus and chlorine in the potato.
12. In nature cure, the main emphasis is on diet and certain water applications.
13. A Multani Mitti pack is an effective way to control pimples.
14. A spoonful of honey mixed with rose water can be taken daily.
15. Any sulphur soap can be used to wash the acne face daily.
1. Regularly clean the skin.
2. Have a well-balanced, regular diet. Emphasis should be on foods rich in fibre such as raw foods, especially fresh fruit and vegetables, sprouted seeds, raw nuts and whole grain cereals, especially millet and brown rice to prevent constipation, the main cause of acne.
3. To keep the face pores open light steam should be given once a week.
4. Drink at least 1 liter of water a day to impart a healthy glow to the skin.
5. Starchy, protein and fatty foods should be restricted.
6. Meats, sugar, strong tea or coffee, condiments, pickles, refined and processed foods should be avoided.
Cleaning methods to be followed for acne skin
1. Apply a suitable home made face pack and keep it for 10-15 minutes. 2. Remove the pack and blot the residue with a cold, wet towel.
3. Moisten a piece of cotton with an antiseptic lotion and touch each every pimple or acne.
4. Antibiotic lotions can also be applied after cleaning the face.
In all cases of skin problems high standards of personal hygiene, balanced diet, congenial environs, gay and happy mood will go along way in preventing acne and quick recovery. One should inhale natural fresh air and take long walks, keep the mind free from worries and tensions for the quick recovery from acne with minimum use of medications.
Pages: 1 2