This recipe will give you first rate muffins in quick time. They will bake up with a thin crust on the outside and a wonderful center that is soft, fluffy and oh so good. Frozen blueberries will do perfectly, just be sure to use them straight from the freezer do not defrost. They are also lower in fat than the usual muffins, this is a welcome thing and I promise you that the taste doesn’t suffer in any way.
MAKES: 12 muffins
- 2 cups Bisquick (biscuit or baking mix, low fat works well)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract (more if you like the lemon stronger)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (can use frozen, see note in description)
- 3 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Whisk the egg, sour cream and lemon extract together and then stir it into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups half full.
- If using,combine the topping ingredients (lemon peel & sugar) and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.