We’re in the midst of that wonderful holiday baking frenzy when the house aromas are making life long memories for the children and those living close enough are making cookies with grandmother. Doesn’t everyone remember cooking with grandma! These biscotti are beautiful on the holiday cookie trays and are very good keepers if not sealed too tightly. These cookies are more moist than the usual biscotti so they need to be able to breath a bit when stored.
MAKES: 2 1/2 dozen
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, and vanilla in a separate bowl until frothy.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist, using an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add almonds and cranberries; mix thoroughly.
- On a floured surface, divide batter in half and pat each half into a log about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300ºF.
- Cut biscotti into 1/2 inch slices and stand upright on cookie sheet and bake another 20 minutes.