MAKES: 12 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, shredded
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup granulated fine sugar
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarse chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, use your favorite
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- white sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cream or tartar, soda, salt and orange peel.
- Add butter and with a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sugar and milk, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in cranberries and chopped nuts of choice.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough to a 3/4 inch thickness and cut with a 2-1/2 inch round biscuit cutter or into wedges as you prefer.
- Brush scone tops with the egg white and sprinkle with as much sugar as you like
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until delicately browned.