Your nose will wiggle because these muffins have a great aroma while baking. They are full of mouth pleasing texture and not entirely unhealthy either. They only take 30 mins start to finish and a food processor to do the shredding will shorten that time (and perhaps save your knuckles).
MAKES: 12 standard sized muffins
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil or sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Line 12 muffin tin cups with paper cup liners.
- Combine both flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and mace in a medium bowl.
- Place the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with electric mixed until light and fluffy for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour mixture until well moistened but don’t over mix.
- Stir in carrots and pecans.
- Fill cups 3/4 full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (approx 15-18 minutes).
- Cool in pan for about 5 minutes and remove the muffins into a rack to finish cooling.