Don’t be put off making this deliciously unusual salad because it is called double fried! The first ‘frying’ is just to remove the skin & par cook – the second is more just sauteeing in a little olive oil with some garlic! I love this dish & you can serve it as a salad or as a mezze dish.
- 3 large green bell peppers
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1-2 large cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (good quality)
- salt to taste, I like sea salt in this
- vinegar – I use malt, to taste (you can leave this out if you prefer but it does enhance the flavours!
- Deep fry the peppers & tomatoes until the skin is dark, wrinkled & beginning to split.
- Remove from the fryer, drain then place in a bag or plastic container for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, peel the peppers, cut in half & discard the seeds. Peel the tomatoes. Next, chop them into pieces approx. 1″ x 1/2 “.
- Peel then mince the garlic.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a frying pan & add the peppers, tomatoes & garlic. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes then add the water & salt to taste.
- Cook gently, stirring occasionaly for 15 minutes or until the peppers are soft & the tomato has almost completely disintergrated.
- Remove from the heat, mix in a little vinegar, re-season if required & serve either warm or room temperature.
- If you really don’t like the idea of double frying, try grilling/broiling the peppers & tomatoes. Alternatively you could just plunge them into scalding water to remove the skins then sautee them for a while longer until softened.