A lovely salad that features green batons of asparagus. Be sure not to skip the marinating step as it’s the key to adding all of the great flavor. Served with crusty bread and fresh fruit for dessert you have a light but satisfying meal. If you want something more substantial than just the egg I think tuna would be ideal with it.
MAKES: 6 side servings or 4 entree servings
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar or Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 4 cups baby mixed greens or baby spinach leaves
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers, chopped (fresh chopped peppers work well also)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped or quartered
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook fresh asparagus spears in small amount of salted boiling water till crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, and rinse in cold water, and drain again.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, sugar, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Place asparagus in shallow dish and pour your vinegar mixture over it.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Remove asparagus, reserving the liquid.
- On large plate layer baby greens or spinach leaves, red pepper, asparagus, green onions, chopped eggs, and parsley.
- Drizzle with reserved vinegar mixture.
- Serve at once and enjoy.