Here is a perfect summer salad that is both refreshing and healthy. It’s very easy to make and is wonderful when served with a tall glass of iced tea (oolong tea would be a great choice). You can make the dressing early in the day and keep it refrigerated until ready to use. This can be either a full vegetarian meal or a wonderful side salad served with grilled meats. Using it as a side salad would give you more than 4 servings.
MAKES: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used fat free)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons honey, liquid (warm it if need be so that it will mix easily)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder or ras el hanout
- lettuce or spinach leaf, as needed
- /4 cup unsalted pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 medium tart apples, cored and diced (peel the apples only if they have a tough thick skin)
- 1/4 cup raisins or mixed dried fruit
- 3 cups celery with leaves, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Toast pistachio nuts and set aside to cool.
- Once you’ve cooled and chopped the pistachios, combine them with the remaining salad ingredients.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a non-reactive bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
- Divide and place a serving on a bed of lettuce or spinach leaves.