Sometimes the tastiest things come from using what you can find in the kitchen when you need to go shopping. This is just such a recipe that turned out to be a real treat! One ingredient works with the next and the whole thing ended up being a harmonious and very pleasant surprise.
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb fresh or frozen fish fillet, thawed if frozen (I used fresh water Pike but I thing that a salt water fish would be even better)
~ Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. In a medium sized skillet combine apple, celery, and butter or margarine.
2. cook on med high heat until the celery has reached the tender crisp stage.
3. Stir in stuffing mix, mayonnaise or salad dressing, walnuts, and lemon juice and set aside, snugly covered.
4. Into a 12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch baking dish, place the fish fillets.
5. Place the fish into the oven and bake until the fish is almost to flake (it will be opaque and the time will depend on the thickness of your fillets but start checking at 4-5 mins).
6. When fish is opaque drain the juices from the dish and top each fillet with a quarter of the stuffing mix.
7. Return the pan to the oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork and the stuffing has heated through.