Active time: 1 hr Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr
Makes 6 servings.
- for salad
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2lb spanish chorizo (spicy cured pork sausage; preferably hot), cut into 1/4-inch dice*
- 1/2cup finely chopped shallot
- 1large garlic clove, minced
- 11/2cups chicken broth
- 1/2cup dry white wine
- 3/4lb medium shrimp in shell (26), peeled and deveined
- 3/4lb sea scallops, tough muscle removed from side of each if necessary, halved crosswise (quartered if large)
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1(10-oz) box couscous (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1cup coarsely chopped drained pimiento-stuffed green olives (5 oz)
- 1/3cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsleyfor dressing
- 1/3cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon cayenneaccompaniment:lemon wedges
DIRECTIONS Make salad:
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté chorizo and shallot, stirring, until chorizo is golden brown on edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, scraping out skillet with a rubber spatula.
Bring broth and wine to a boil in a 2 1/2-quart saucepan and cook shrimp, covered, until just cooked through, about 45 seconds. Transfer shrimp with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Bring liquid in saucepan back to a boil and cook scallops, covered, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer scallops with slotted spoon to bowl with shrimp and pour any liquid accumulated in bowl back into pan. Add lemon juice to seafood, then add salt and pepper to taste and toss to combine.
Put couscous in a metal bowl. Reserve 1 3/4 cups cooking liquid in saucepan and discard remainder. Add saffron and bring liquid to a boil and pour over couscous. Let stand, covered tightly with plastic wrap, 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork and add to chorizo. Stir in peas, bell pepper, olives, and seafood and toss to combine.
Blend lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a blender until smooth and pour over seafood salad, tossing to combine well. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow couscous to absorb dressing.
Stir in parsley and season salad with salt and pepper.
• Salad can be made (without parsley) 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered.Bring to room temperature and stir in parsley just before serving.
* Availableat Latino markets and some supermarkets.