To start, offer a seafood appetizer, such as chilled cocktail shrimp with herbed mayonnaise. What to drink: Pour Champagne or sparkling wine throughout the meal.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 1/2tablespoons butter
- 1cup chopped onions
- 4cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 5 cups)
- 18-ounce russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 1/2cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3large fresh dill sprigs plus 6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1teaspoon (or more) salt 1cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 3ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
DIRECTIONS Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add cucumbers and potato; stir 1 minute. Add broth, dill sprigs, and 1 teaspoon salt. Increase heat and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cucumbers and potato are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.Working in batches, puree soup in processor until smooth. Return to pot. Cool 15 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup crème fraîche and 4 tablespoons minced dill. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.) Taste soup, adding more salt if desired. Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Place dollop of crème fraîche in center of each bowl; sprinkle with smoked salmon and remaining 2 tablespoons minced dill.