Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 1 hr
Make 6 servings.
- 2medium fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise; 1 1/2 lb total), stalks cut off and discarded, and fronds reserved for garnish if desired
- 1 1/2lb large boiling potatoes
- 3large garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 6tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2lb skinless cod fillet (1 inch thick), cut into 6 portionsgarnish:chopped fennel fronds or fresh flat-leaf parsley
- accompaniment:lemon wedges
- special equipment:a japanese benriner* or other adjustable-blade slicer; a 3-quart shallow baking dish (2 inches deep)
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut fennel bulbs crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices with slicer. Peel potatoes and cut crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices with slicer.
Transfer fennel and potatoes to baking dish and toss with garlic, salt, pepper, and 4 tablespoons oil. Spread vegetables evenly in dish and bake, covered with foil, in middle of oven until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Season fish with salt and pepper and arrange on top of vegetables. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and bake, uncovered, until fish is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
* Available at Asian markets, many cookware shops, and Uwajimaya (800-889-1928).