My family loves oatmeal, they love apple pie & they really love chocolate! What better way to incorporate all of their favourite flavours than with this delicious, healthy & filling breakfast.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 8 tablespoons apple sauce, I use my homemade, organic chunky apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp honey ( or maple syrup or sugar to taste )
- splash of milk – optional.
- Place the oats, salt and cocoa powder in a medium sized pan and slowly incorporate the water.
- Simmer on a medium heat until cooked. You may add a little more water if you desire a thinner consistency but we like our oatmeal quite thick!
- Stir in the vanilla extract, the cinnamon & the honey / maple syrup / sugar.
- Heat the apple sauce in the microwave and set aside.
- Serve the chocolate oatmeal in small bowls, topped with 2 tablespoons of the apple sauce and optional splash of milk.
- For a more luxurious breakfast, why not try adding a square of good quality chocolate to each bowl & topping with a little cream.
- The cocoa gives the oatmeal a very rich chocolate taste, if you’re making this for children, you might want to use hot chocolate powder or chocolate milkshake powder (such as Nesquick) as they might find the dark chocolate taste overpowering.
- You don’t have to make this oatmeal with water, you can easily use milk – dairy, goat, soy, nut or even rice – just adapt this recipe to suit your tastes!