Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 50 min
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
- 8medium sweet potatoes
- (5 lb), left unpeeled, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 2navel oranges, left unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 2large red onions, peeledand trimmed (leaving root ends intact) and cut into1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1cup golden raisins
- 1/3cup honey
- 1/3cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4cup chopped fresh parsley
special equipment: heavy-duty foil
DIRECTIONS Prepare grill for cooking.
Toss together sweet potatoes, oranges, onions, butter, oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Put a 2-foot-long double layer of foil on a work surface. Place half of sweet potato mixture in center and sprinkle with 1/2 cup raisins. Cover with a third sheet of foil and tightly roll up all sides to seal. Wrap packet in a fourth sheet of foil to ensure insulation. Make another packet with remaining vegetables and raisins.
Put packets side by side directlyon hot coals. Cover grill and opengrill vents, then grill packets until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
While packets are grilling, stir together honey, lemon juice, and parsley. Remove packets from grilland carefully unwrap. Drizzle vegetables with honey mixture.
• Gas grill method: Put packets on grill rack and close lid. Roast with grill set to moderately low.
• Oven method: Toss potatoes, oranges, onions, raisins, butter, and oil together in a large shallow roasting pan. Cover tightly with foil and roast in a preheated 450°F oven until potatoes begin to soften, about 50 minutes. Uncover and roast until vegetables are browned in spots and tender, about 25 minutes more.