The weather today is awful. It has been raining since the early hours & it not exactly warm either. So to cheer my family up, I decided to bake this cake. Grab a comfy chair, a pot of tea & a generous slice of cake & sit by the fire to warm up!
- 250 ml thick coconut milk
- 54 ml sunflower oil
- 200 g self raising flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pandan extract
- 1 tablespoon pandan essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 210 g sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup toasted sliced (slivered) almonds
- sifted icing sugar
- Sift flour in a bowl. Add in egg yolk, baking powder, ground almonds, oil, coconut milk, salt, pandan extract and essence. Stir well. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar till fluffy. Add in sugar, little by little.
- Beat for 10 minutes, at high speed, till thick and creamy. Fold flour mixture into the eggs.
- Bake in an 8″ round tin in pre-heated oven @ 180 C for 50 minutes. Turn off oven & allow the cake to cool in the oven
- When completely cool remove from tin & decorate, dust with icing sugar & sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds.
- If you cannot get pandan essence, use 2 tsp of extract & a little green food colouring.
- If you would prefer to make this cake in a tube pan, choose a 10″ pan & cook for 45-55 minutes at 175 C.