I wanted to come up with something a little different to serve as a light, refreshing appetizer & decided that these little cups might just do the trick.
- 1 & 1/2 English cucumbers
- 2oz wholewheat conchigliette pasta
- 3 & 1/2 tsp red pesto (the best quality bought or homemade)
- pinch of salt
- 15 leaves of fresh basil or parsley
- Trim the ends of the cucumbers, then slice the cucumbers into 1″ rounds. With a thin bladed knife, remove the peel in strips to create a striped effect.
- Cook the pasta until it is tender, drain well & mix in the red pesto & pinch of salt until the pasta is thoroughly coated.
- Take each piece of cucumber & carefully remove the seeded central part – making sure to leave a base of about 5mm left at the bottom of the cucumber (otherwise the pasta will fall straight out!)
- Then fill each hollowed out cucumber ‘cup’ with the pesto pasta & finally top with the basil / parsley leaf.
- Serve 3 cups per person for a dainty appetizer.
- For a special touch, drizzle a little olive oil over each cup & top with 2-3 lightly toasted pine nuts – you could even add a tiny sprinkle of finely grated parmesan cheese.