This is a basic but very yummy quick bread that is excellent with coffee or tea. My grand mother would have loved it spread with apple butter but just a light spread of butter will enhance it beautifully
MAKES: 1 loaf
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (generous) applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 lg egg
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9×5 (or use 8×4 for a taller loaf) loaf pan and set aside.
- in one bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl use an electric mixer to cream the butter and brown sugar together, beating until the mix is very well mixed and looks fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, mixing well.
- Add the dry ingredients in increments alternating with increments of the milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pout the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top flat.
- Bake on the center oven rack for 40 mins.
I made this for my husband who doesn’t like nuts but this loaf would be improved with the addition of 3/4 cup of chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans being the best choices). Stir them in just before pouring the batter into the loaf pan.