- 3 medium yellow onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS 1. Peel the onions and cut into 1/8″ to 1/4″ pieces. Peel the garlic and chop finely. Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, or until the onions start to brown. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as necessary to prevent burning. Remove from the heat, transfer to a large bowl, and let cool for 10 minutes.
2. To the same bowl, add the turkey, bread crumbs, barbecue sauce, oats, basil, oregano, wheat germ, salt or aminos, and pepper to taste. Mix well. Shape the mixture into 9 burgers.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook the burgers over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Flip the burgers carefully and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165° and the meat is no longer pink. Serve the burgers hot.