These tasty scones are best served while still warm from the oven as are most baked goods. The touch of mace is just the right thing to elevate these above “just another oatmeal thing”. Great for breakfast or brunch.
- ¾ cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup plus 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 & ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- I & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, cut up
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 1 & 1/2 Tbsp egg white
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats. sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Cut butter into oats mixture with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly.
- Stir together 2/3 cup buttermilk and egg.
- Add to flour mixture, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened and doughy.
- Turn dough out onto a parchment lined (or lightly gresed) baking sheet and shape into a 8 inch circle.
- Mark the circle into 8 wedges but do noy cut all the way through.
- Brush with egg white, sprinkle with the 1-2 teaspoons of sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick or sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut through the 8 wedges.
- Serve with butter and honey.