Are you familiar with the phrase “if I knew you were coming I’d have baked a cake” ? Well, now there’s no need to be caught off guard when unexpected guests drop by! This cake is super quick to put together & takes just 5 minutes in the microwave to cook. It is also extremely versatile flavour wise – see the Tips below for other flavour ideas. Unlike other microwave sponges, this cakes remains soft & moist even the next day – if it lasts that long!
- 4oz granulated sugar (brown or white)
4oz self raising flour
3 tbsp water
1 level tsp baking powder
1 level tsp ground ginger
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
3 tbsp lime marmalade
- 2 tbsp chocolate sprinkles
- or 3 tbsp finely chopped preserved ginger with syrup
- Soften the margarine then beat in the sugar, eggs, zest, baking powder & ginger.
- Add the flour & mix well.
- Pour into a well greased, microwave safe dish. I use a 7″ x 10″ stoneware – the cake batter comes halfway up the dish.
- Cook on full power for 5 minutes. (My microwave is 900w / Grade E)
- Melt the marmalade & brush over the top of the cake then cook on full power for a further minute.
- Remove the cake from the microwave & sprinkle on the decorations if using.
- Allow to cool for a minute then slice. I like to slice the cake into 16 pieces which is just right for a snack!
- To make a chocolate cake, replace the ginger & zest with 3 tbsp cocoa powder – you can also add a few chocolate chips if you like. If you want chocolate orange, leave the zest & change the lime marmalade to orange.
- For an almond cake, replace the ginger & zest with 1 tsp almond flavouring or essence. Dust with icing sugar or chocolate sprinkles.
- If you want a coffee cake, replace the ginger & zest with 1-2 tsp coffee granules dissolved in the 3 tbsp water called for in the recipe.
- You can ice this cake with your favourite frosting / buttercream / icing etc – it holds up well to all kinds of toppings.