These delicious sandwiches are from the Corner Bakery Cafe in Chicago.
Makes 6 sandwiches.
- 3large red onions (about21/2 pounds), each cut through stem into 8 wedges, peeled
- 7tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar1cup mayonnaise
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/4teaspoons grated lemon peel64x3-inch pieces ciabatta,* halved horizontally
- 16ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 2cups arugula
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Gently toss red onions, 5 tablespoons oil and vinegar in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheet. Bake onions until brown at edges and just tender, about 40 minutes. Cool.
Mix mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, lemon peel and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl. (Onions and mayonnaise can be made 2 days ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Place bottom halves on plates. Top with roast beef, onions and arugula. Cover with top halves of bread.
*Ciabatta is an oval-shaped flat Italian bread available at many bakeries and supermarkets nationwide.