You can make a foil packet for the wood chips (see instructions), or buy a disposable aluminum pan that fits your grill.
Makes 4 servings.
- 4cups water
- 1/4cup coarse salt
- 1/4cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 4skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1small onion, thinly sliced
- 2thin lemon slices
- 2cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2cups wood chips (preferably cherry or apple), soaked 1 hour in water to cover, drained
- cherry barbecue sauce
DIRECTIONS Whisk 4 cups water, coarse salt, and sugar in large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add chicken breasts, sliced onion, lemon slices, and broken cinnamon sticks. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place wood chips in 8×6-inch foil packet left open at top; set packet atop coals 5 minutes before grilling chicken. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill chicken until just cooked through, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter. Serve, passing Cherry Barbecue Sauce separately.