This may not sound like traditional teriyaki, but we love the combination of coriander and cilantro with the soy marinade. Serve the steak with hot-and-sour cabbage salad.
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 35 min
Makes 4 servings.
- 1teaspoon coriander seeds, coarsely ground in an electric coffee/spice grinder
- 1lb flank steak
- 1 1/2tablespoons soy sauce
- 2teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 2teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1garlic clove, minced
- 1teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4cup fresh cilantro leaves
DIRECTIONS Press coriander onto both sides of steak and put steak on a large plate. Stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and oil and pour over steak, turning steak to coat. Marinate, turning occasionally, 10 minutes.
Heat an oiled broiler pan about 3 inches from broiler until hot.Put steak on hot pan and broil 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with cilantro.