Serve with: Roast leg of lamb. Combine with: Crusty bread spread with goat cheese. Use as: A seasoning for roast chicken (spread tapenade under the skin before cooking).
Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
- 8ripe fresh figs, stemmed, halved
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil1/2cup kalamata olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1tablespoon drained capers
- 2 1/2teaspoons pomegranate molasses*
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
DIRECTIONS Preheat broiler. Line small baking sheet with foil. Brush foil with olive oil. Lightly brush figs with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Arrange figs, cut side up, on sheet. Broil until figs are lightly browned at edges, about 3 minutes. Cool on baking sheet.
Combine figs, olives, capers, pomegranate molasses, rosemary, and vinegar in processor. Using on/off turns, coarsely chop figs and olives. With motor running, add remaining 1tablespoon oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Stir in walnuts. Let tapenade stand 2 hours at room temperature to blend flavors. (Can be prepared 5 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
*A thick pomegranate syrup that’s available at Middle Eastern markets and some supermarkets.