Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 25 min
Makes 6 servings.
- 1cup quick-cooking barley
- 2cups water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup pecans (3 oz), chopped
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2medium carrots, cut into1/4-inch dice
- 2celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4cup finely chopped shallot(1 large)
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
DIRECTIONS Bring barley, water, and salt to aboil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan,then reduce heat and simmer,covered, until barley is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat andlet stand, covered, 5 minutes. Drain barley in a colander, then rinse under cold water and drain well.
While barley is simmering, cook pecans in oil in a heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until nuts are toasted1 shade darker, about 4 minutes. Toss nuts and oil with barley and remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then season with salt and pepper.