Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 1 hr
Makes 4 side-dish servings.
- 2 1/2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1tablespoon mild honey
- 1garlic clove, minced
- 1teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1medium eggplant (1 1/4 lb), cut crosswise into 8 (1/8-inch-thick) slices, ends discarded
- vegetable oil for brushing pan
DIRECTIONS Whisk together soy sauce, lime juice, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish. Add eggplant, turning to coat, and marinate, covered, turning once, at least 20 minutes total.
Lightly brush rack of a broiler pan with oil, then broil eggplant 5 to 7 inches from heat, basting frequently with remaining marinade and turning once, until tender and browned on both sides, 10 to 15 minutes total.
• Eggplant can be marinated up to 1 hour.