This quick dish gets its flavor from fresh tangerine peel as well as the fruit’s juice. To make easy work of grating the peel, choose tangerines with firm skin and store them in the refrigerator. Then use a hand grater or a Microplane grater-zester to grate the peel.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 2tablespoons cream sherry
- 1tablespoon grated tangerine peel1/2cup fresh tangerine juice
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2teaspoons cornstarch2tablespoons peanut oil
- 3garlic cloves, minced
- 2teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 15snow peas, trimmed
- 1green onion, chopped
DIRECTIONS Mix first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Whisk juice, vinegar, and cornstarch in medium bowl to blend. Set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and cayenne; sauté 15 seconds. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Add bell pepper, peas, and onion to same skillet. Stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Stir juice mixture to recombine and add to skillet. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.