Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 45 min
Makes 4 servings.
- 6cups water
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 4large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1lb kirby cucumbers
- 1/2lb radishes, trimmed and quartered
- 1cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
DIRECTIONS Boil water, sugar, garlic, peppercorns, and 3 tablespoons salt in a 4-quart pot, uncovered, 10 minutes.
While brine is boiling, halve cucumbers lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
Remove brine from heat and add cucumbers and radishes. Let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes, then drain in a colander, discarding garlic and peppercorns. Transfer cucumbers and radishes to a bowl of ice and cold water to cool, then drain well in colander.
Toss cucumbers and radishes with parsley, oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and chill, uncovered, about 20 minutes.
Salad can be prepared 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.