Donna Knowlton of Atlanta, Georgia, writes: “As the oldest of five children growing up in rural West Virginia, I was always helping in the kitchen. Like many girls in the South, my interest in cooking came from being a member of the 4-H club.”
Adding fresh lemon juice and grated lemon peel to the filling enhances the flavor of the apples.
Makes 8 servings.
- 8large golden delicious apples (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, halved, thinly sliced
- 3/4cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1cup all purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1large egg yolk
- vanilla ice cream
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Toss apples, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel in prepared dish. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl. Add butter and egg yolk and rub in with fingertips until mixture forms moist clumps. Sprinkle topping over apples. Bake until apples are tender and topping is golden and crisp, about 28 minutes. Cool 20 minutes. Serve crisp warm with vanilla ice cream.