Makes 6 servings
- for biscuits
- 1 3/4cups all purpose flour
- 5tablespoons sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled whipping cream
- 1tablespoon grated orange peelfor berries and cream
- 31-pint baskets strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1/2cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 1/2teaspoon grated orange peel1cup chilled whipping cream
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS Make biscuits:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Blend flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt in processor 5 seconds. Add butter. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1 cup cream and orange peel. Process just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; gently knead 5 turns. Roll out dough on floured surface to 3/4-inch-thick round. Using 3-inch-diameter cutter, cut out 3 rounds. Gather dough and reroll as needed to make 3 more 3-inch rounds. Arrange rounds on prepared sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons cream; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake biscuits until pale golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. (Can be made 2 hours ahead.)
Make berries and cream:
Combine berries, 1/2 cup sugar, mint, and orange peel in medium bowl; stir to blend. Let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Combine cream, vanilla, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in large bowl. Whisk until soft peaks form.
Cut biscuits horizontally in half. Place 1 biscuit bottom in each of 6bowls. Top each with berries, then sweetened whipped cream and biscuit top.