Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 1 1/4 hr
Makes 4 servings (as part of mezedes).
- 2cups water
- 2fresh dill sprigs plus 2 tablespoons chopped dill leaves
- 2large scallions, white and pale green parts cut into 1-inch pieces and dark green parts chopped
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1(10-oz) package frozen black-eyed peasaccompaniment:lemon wedges
DIRECTIONS Bring water, dill sprigs, white and pale green parts of scallions, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan, covered. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add peas and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool, uncovered, then transfer mixture with any liquid to a serving dish and stir in chopped dill, scallion greens, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
• Black-eyed peas can be cooked, cooled, and dressed 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.