In France, tartines are slices of bread topped with butter and sometimes cheese, honey, or other spreads. Here that simple idea is turned into a sophisticated appetizer when the bread is brushed with chive oil and topped with smoked salmon and goat cheese.
- 1cup 1-inch pieces fresh chives
- 3/4cup extra-virgin olive oil6tablespoons crumbled soft fresh goat cheese
- 2tablespoons minced shallot
- 203/4-inch-thick diagonal slices french-bread baguette6ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- additional chopped fresh chives
DIRECTIONS Puree 1 cup chives and oil in blender 2 minutes. Pour into fine sieve set over medium bowl. Let drain 1 hour (do not press on solids). Discard solids.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix goat cheese and shallot in small bowl; season to taste with pepper. Place bread slices on large baking sheet. Brush both sides of bread lightly with chive oil. Spread each slice with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese mixture.
Bake bread until light golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to platter. Drape 1 salmon slice over each. Sprinkle with additional chopped chives.