Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 35 min
Makes 12 biscuits.
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 3/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon salt
- 6tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter,cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6oz cheddar, coarsely grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 3scallions, finely chopped
- 1cup well-shaken buttermilk
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 450°F.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, then blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in Cheddar and scallions. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
Drop dough in 12 equal mounds about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.