Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 2 to 3 days
Serves 6 (main course).
- 1 1/2lb choice-grade skinless boneless salt cod,rinsed well
- 1 1/2qt water
- 3celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4cup small pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1/4cup kalamata or otherbrine-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/3cup chopped drained bottled roasted red peppers
- 1/2cup fresh flat-leafparsley leaves
- 1/2cup small fresh basil leaves
- 3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1teaspoon red-wine vinegar,or to taste
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 3tablespoons olive oil
DIRECTIONS Put cod in a large bowl and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Soak cod, chilled, changing water 3 times a day, up to 3 days (see cooks’ note, below). Drain and chill until ready to use.
Drain cod and transfer to a 5- to6-quart pot with 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. (Cod will just flake; do not boil orit will become tough.) Gently transfer cod with a slotted spoon to a platterto cool slightly.
Shred cod and stir together with celery, garlic, olives, roasted peppers, parsley, and basil.
Stir together lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, and oil, then pour over salad, tossing to coat well. Season with pepper and chill, covered, at least1 1/2 hours for flavors to develop.
• Brands of cod differ in their degreeof saltiness. A less salty variety mayneed only 1 day of soaking, whileanother could require up to 3. To test it, simply taste a small piece after 1 day;you want it to be pleasantly salty but not overwhelmingly so.
• Salad can be chilled up to 2 days.