“While driving along the California coast, we stopped at River’s End, in Jenner,” say Susan and Malcolm Duncan of Waco, Texas. “The fennel slaw was addictive, and we’re not even fennel people. Do you think you could get the recipe?”
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 15 min
Makes 4 servings.
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar,or to taste
- 1/3cup mayonnaise
- 1/2teaspoon freshly groundblack pepper, or to taste
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2lb fennel (sometimes called anise; about 1 1/2 large bulbs)
DIRECTIONS Whisk together all ingredients except fennel.
Trim fennel stalks flush with bulb, discarding stalks, and remove any discolored outer layers. Halve fennel through root end and discard core. Thinly slice fennel with a mandoline or other manual slicer.
Toss fennel with enough dressing to coat, then season with salt and pepper.