Makes 6 servings.
- 3pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1pound medium-size mushrooms
- 1pound small (1- to 1 1/2-inch) red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 1/2cups canned beef broth18shallots
DIRECTIONS Place beef in large bowl. Sprinkle with flour, thyme, allspice and generous amounts of salt and pepper; toss to coat. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches,add beef and sauté until brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer beef to large dish after each batch; reserve any flour in bowl. Add mushrooms and potatoes to drippings in pot. Stir 2 minutes. Return beef, any collected juices, and reserved flour mixture to pot. Add beef broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, about 45 minutes.
Drop shallots into pot of boiling water; cook 1 minute. Drain and peel shallots. Add to stew and simmer, uncovered, until beef and vegetables are tender and sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.